Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Diversify Your Music - Kiwi Tutorial

Diversify your music? What? 
What I want to say by this, is that you should not get stuck into one genre of music. This is what can happen to actors in the world of Hollywood; they act in a series of movies, usually of the same genre, and characters of the same type and personality. This leads them to being typecast in the future. They will be expected to be in the next action movie, being a shotgun whipping, bulked up & cold action hero with extremely high pain threshold like Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis. What if they want to act in a fantasy movie? Not cool!


Now, back to music.


This is a kind of a short "Kiwi-tutorial" (I love that name!) that may help you, if you find yourself stuck in one style of music:


Say you're on YouTube, and you play piano, guitar, cello or violin. You don't really want everybody guessing what your next song is going to be like, and be right. It can make you:

a) Boring.
b) Predictable.



Although these two are almost the same, there is a slight difference. Being boring is self-explanatory, nobody wants to watch your videos. Being predictable means that people are still going to watch your videos, but they already know what they will see and hear. It removes the tension and true interest. Do you want that? I am pretty sure I don't!


How to Diversify My Music?
The diversifying can be done in a few easy steps. I've heard this from my father, of whom I inherited my musicality, and every music teacher I've had so far;
  • Listen to artists that represent different genres of music. Contemporary instrumental is one of my favorites. Thus, I listen to rock and hip hop at times.
  • Try out different styles, don't be afraid to copy a little!
  • If something sounds bad to you, or you just don't like it, play it to a friend or a family member and see if they might like it. There are segments of people that might be longing for that specific type of music!
Conclusion
Don't be afraid to be different from your usual self. In this case, "Don't be yourself" would be the appropriate phrase. Continue making music any way and style you like, but keep in mind that your audience may be very wide, and changing your style at times will very likely get positive feedback from your followers and subscribers.

No comments:

Post a Comment