Thursday, December 8, 2011

What Is MIDI? - Description & Opinion

Musical Instrument Digital Interface - What is it?


This is a god-blessed invention for musicians of any kind. It allows anyone to create a connection between a computer and a piano, digital keyboard or a synthesizer. 


It is an industry-standard protocol that allows electronic musical instruments (such as synthesizers, digital keyboards and pianos & drum machines) and computers to communicate as well as synchronize with each other. In other words, MIDI is capable of turning music into bits of data. 
MIDI's primary functions include communicating event messages about musical notation, velocity, pitch, control signals for parameters (such as volume, vibrato, cues, panning, and clock signals (to set the tempo)) between two devices in order to complete a signal chain and produce audible sound. In the modern music industry, MIDI has a very significant role, as it basically has enabled the whole industry to become more efficient and has increased the level of quality. (I am not implying, however, that certain teenage shooting stars were... quality.)


Without MIDI, the modern music industry, especially the hip hop part of it, would have to go back to their old methods of producing music which are lower quality and complex as solving a broken jigsaw puzzle (pardon the clumsy expression, first to pop up in my mind).


What can I use it for?


Well, assuming that you have a piano or an instrument that connectable by MIDI, you can transfer your music to your computer. Then you could edit the music as you like. This is perfect for music producers, as they get to play around with the music until they are perfectly satisfied with it. Ever wondered how some songs have these unbelievable, almoust unnatural beats, tunes and sounds? Wonder no more, for thou hast found the answer for thy question!


Opinion


I can quite boldly tell you, that I am still learning MIDI myself, as it is not as easy to understand as some would think. There are so many procedures and things to do if you want to try and have a go at what Timbaland and Bob Sinclar do.

I have a Yamaha digital piano myself, and it has the MIDI feature. After recording a song, I can even see the score of my song on a little computer screen on the piano. The modern technology...
However, despite the fact that for almost a year I've tried to find a way to extract the score into my USB-drive and computer, I still haven't found the method to do so. I'm getting suspicious about having to pay extra for some kind of a software. Well, that is a quest to complete.



To finish this post off - Like I mentioned above, MIDI is an amazing tool that has taken music production to the next level. Unfortunately, it has also allowed some... new "talents" to rise from the mass, although I would rather have them detained for noise pollution... and horrible lyrics.


Ark Music Factory. You give your climbers rugged security ropes, belts and push them to the top if they have luck and masses love them. 

I'm a free-climber. Expect me on the top.




No comments:

Post a Comment