Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How to Recover Lost Inspiration - Kiwi Hints

Ever ran out of inspiration? That frustrating feeling that makes your musical abilities just shrivel away? 
You're not the only one with the problem. I also experience occasional periods of time when my mind is emptier than an exam sheet after a night out.


What should I do to get rid of this?


The answer is quite simple. Listen to music! Letting go of your need to create something for a while, and hearing what others have created has an extraordinary ability to recharge your inspirational batteries. Depending on the type of music you create, you should listen to artists representing the corresponding genre. However, sometimes, listening to something totally different helps more! For example, when I run out of inspiration, I listen to movie soundtracks; Final Fantasies, Pirates of The Caribbean... and so on. The new movie, "John Carter" also has some epic sounds in its trailer. Check it out! 


Also, go take a walk around the town, village or city. People are a great source of inspiration and imagination. Observe, listen, and smell. Creation requires all senses to be active.


What if that doesn't help?


In the unlikely case it does not work, it's always a good thing to just take a break and forget the music for a while. What happened to me, was that after spending most of last summer without any instruments, I composed some really great pieces as soon as I got back home to my piano. Like mentioned, taking breaks is always a good idea, but sometimes the breaks have be a bit longer than just the regular "30 minute" ones.


Have you got any ideas how to recover your inspiration? Inspiration applies to all forms of art; music, painting, writing, etc. Leave comments for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment